Cardamom Vanilla Hazelnut Cookies
These cookies are so playful and within a few minutes, you will find yourself finishing them all at once. I say playful because there is no rocket science, no hard effort and no long hours required to make these cookies. Like just put on your headphones as you wake up on a Sunday, grab your morning coffee and that apron and you will be enjoying these cookies within the next few minutes. Yeah! it’s a winning deal right?
The best thing here is that you don’t need any butter or oil to bind the cookies here. Yes, you heard it right! No oil, no butter, no margarine nothing! Only the hazelnut butter will help in binding the cookies and add its own flavor as well. And well, you do know how healthy and easy hazelnut butter is right? Just pulse hazelnuts for a good one minute and the butter is ready! As simple as that!
Now let’s get to the flavors. Cardamom and hazelnut blend like long lost companions. The subtle nature of hazelnut marries the strong flavor of cardamom just perfectly. Desiccated coconut here helps in binding as well as adds to the taste bringing in a certain charm of its own. Flax seeds, of course, add the nutrition and help to keep these cookies together.
The cookies can be made with the addition of flour as well but in that case, you may just have to tweak the other ingredients a little bit. I would say, just stick to this one as of now and enjoy the flavors of all these ingredients merging together to make a beautiful little cookie.
These cookies are simple and the perfect tea accompaniment. They’re not insanely sweet, which is a nice change from the usual cookie flavor profile. Vanilla extract, hazelnut, and honey give these treats a subtle sweetness while chia seeds keep them intact.
2 cups hazelnuts
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground chia seeds
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup honey
- Take once cup of hazelnut and pulse them well, for about 1 minute till it becomes hazelnut butter.
- Pulse the rest one cup of hazelnuts just for a few seconds till it becomes a coarse powder.
- Add both of these to a bowl and then keep adding all the other ingredients one by one.
- Combine everything well to make a dough. Wet a muslin cloth and cover the dough with it and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Now take the dough and start and start forming small balls out of it in your palm and keep them aside.
- Flatten each with the help of your palm or a bowl.
- Preheat the oven on 160 C for 5 minutes. Bake the cookies at 160 C for 15-16 minutes.
- Cool them off on a wire rack and enjoy!!