Chocolate & Walnut Cake
Moist and soft with alternating bites of chocolate and vanilla this chocolate marble cake recipe is definitely a sure-fire keeper.If you don’t like to experiment much this cake will be a definite hit with your family and friends on any given Sunday or a small get-together.
145 gms all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
113 gms unsalted butter + 1 tbsp for chocolate
43 gms dark chocolate
1/4 cup Coffee
1/2 tsp Instant Espresso powder(I used 1 tsp because I like the coffee taste)
175 gms sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Keep aside.
- Break the chocolate into lumps and place it in a heatproof bowl along with 1tbsp butter, coffee, and espresso powder. Place this bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Keep the heat on low and once the chocolate and butter have slightly melted, mix well to form a smooth and creamy consistency. Keep aside to cool.
- In a free standing mixer with paddle attachment or using a hand mixer, beat together the remaining butter and sugar till you form a lump-free mixture. This won’t be light and fluffy but should be a thick paste-like consistency.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition with the batter having a smooth and satiny texture.
- In goes the vanilla extract.
- Now reduce the speed to the lowest and add the flour mix and milk alternately, starting and ending with the flour. You should have a smooth batter with no flour seen. Add the chopped walnuts to it, leaving just a few to be added later.
- Pour a little less than half of this batter into the bowl with the chocolate and thoroughly mix it. Not vigorously.
- Butter and dust a cake tin and alternate spoons full of dark and white batter. I placed the white-chocolate-white as the lowest layer, then the second layer was chocolate-white-chocolate and then topped with a thin layer of white. Continue till about 3/4th full.
- Swirl the batter with a butter knife right till the bottom, to get that marble effect and add the remaining walnuts on the top.
- Place on the center rack of an oven preheated at 176 C and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and after about 10 minutes unmould.
- Serve with some vanilla ice cream.