Plain Old Chocolate Cake
Our good old chocolate cake never goes out of fashion. Be it a birthday, an anniversary or just another day in our life, this simple chocolate cake would be all you need to add a little zest to your life. A one bowl chocolate cake recipe that is quick, easy, and delicious!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup milk, buttermilk, almond, or coconut milk
½ cup vegetable, canola oil, or melted coconut oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Sprinkle with a little cocoa powder or powdered sugar. Enjoy the super delicious chocolate cake with a scoop of your favorite ice cream or with your regular cup of evening coffee.