No tea party would be complete without a scrumptious strawberry tart as the centerpiece. A classic strawberry tart filled with a supercilious filling makes a stunning pud. Perfect for a summer afternoon tea in the garden.
175 gms plain flour, plus extra to dust
125 gms unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
40 gms caster sugar
1 medium egg, separated
60 gms caster sugar
2 medium egg yolks
25 gms cornflour
250 ml semi-skimmed milk
1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
150 ml double cream
About 400 gms strawberries (ideally the same size), hulled
75 gms strawberry jam, sieved
- Whiz the flour and butter in a processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour using your fingers. Add the sugar and whiz or stir to combine. Add the egg yolk and 3tsp cold water and pulse or stir with a blunt-ended cutlery knife until the pastry comes together. Shape into a disc, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30min.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Mix the sugar, yolks, and cornflour in a medium heatproof bowl until smooth. Heat the milk and vanilla pod until just boiling, whisking occasionally to encourage the seeds out of the pod. Gradually add the milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return to the pan and, whisking non-stop, bubble until thickened. Scrape into a large heatproof bowl, remove the pod, cool and chill.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm (9in) round springform tin. Trim the pastry to come about 3cm (1¼in) up the sides. Prick the base all over with a fork, then chill for 15min. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 20min, then remove paper and beans and return to the oven for 10min. Remove from the oven and brush the inside of the pastry with egg white. Return to the oven for 3min. Cool in the tin, then transfer the pastry case to a serving plate or cake stand.
- To assemble, whiz the filling until smooth, then return to the large bowl, or beat in the bowl with a handheld electric whisk. Whip the double cream in a separate bowl until stiff and fold into the filling. Spoon into the pastry case, level the surface, then chill for 30min until set.
- To serve, arrange the strawberries on top and glaze with the jam.