The Royal Indian Falooda
Falooda is a delicious cold dessert/beverage and is very popular, especially in India, Pakistan, and the Middle East. It is very simple to make at home. The combination of all the super ingredients is enough to send you into a trance as you enjoy every bite of this delectable piece of heaven. Get to relish within just a few minutes of desiring it!
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon pistachios
26 strands of saffron
2 teaspoon falooda seeds (this can be found at any Indian grocery store)
3 tablespoons uncooked falooda (this can be found at any Indian grocery store)
4tbsp falooda sev or vermicelli (this can be found at any Indian grocery store)
5 scoops of vanilla ice cream
1 tablespoon of pistachios
Edible flowers (optional)
- The first thing we want to do is soak the falooda seeds in about 3/4 cup of water for a good 30 minutes and let them et soft. After we soak the seeds what we want to do is strain the seeds with a tea strainer and keep them aside.
- Next, we have to get ready the 4 tablespoons of the falooda vermicelli. Depending on which kind of falooda vermicelli you got, follow the preparation steps on the packet. Many ask you to just soak in warm water while others might ask you to put them in boiling water like noodles.
- Crush your pistachios and grind them with a mortar and pestle.
- Take about 1 cup of milk in a small pan or saucepan and add to this sugar, ground pistachios, and the strands of the crushed saffron.
- Now we want to put up the heat on the stove on a medium heat and simply simmer on a low flame. For the milk, we don’t want to boil it, just a nice simmer is fine so the milk can absorb all the flavors. Once it is done and you can smell the flavors absorbed in the milk turn of the stove and pour the milk out and let it cool. We want to cool it completely. You can also refrigerate it.
- After the milk is cooled we will pour the milk into glasses and get them ready for serving.
- In each glass, we will add about a tablespoon of falooda seeds or less. A few ice cubes. In each glass for serving, add about 1/2cup of the cooked milk from the above steps.
- Then we will add to it the falooda vermicelli. and on top of this, you can add vanilla ice-cream. On top of the ice cream scoop, you can add crushed or chopped pistachios for garnishing and more falooda seeds if you desire.